A fairytale Christmas

Stockings sewn from http://sewlikemymom.com/christmas-stockings-tutorial/
Once upon a time there was a lady who remembered that Christmas for her is about sparkles of light in dark days. Slow, gentle, magical time with herself and a few of her loved ones enjoying and being thankful for all our blessings and she lived a very happy Christmas 2013 indeed.

Sometimes I think crafty types turn into some kind of crazed fairy godmothers at Christmas, determined not just to have the 'perfect' Christmas as pumped in to our heads by the marketing machines of just about every company out there but to MAKE the whole damn schnazzle from scratch as well. Of course this year with less working hours to excuse me I wanted to make more gifts, more food and participate in the creation of more new traditions than ever whilst remaining serene and shiny throughout. I thought I'd refined the lists, sprinkled a little fairy dust and was going to shimmy on through. Then my back said no and I lay down for a week. Lists are shorter, there are small touches of handmade rather than swathes and the house is beyond messy to make time for the fun stuff. Happy compromises so that I don't have to compromise on the fairytale. I'm already inspired by one of the treats I have lined up for 2014 (Elizabeth's Squam Magic of Myth online course) to write this my way.

Off to Cornwall this week for cosy time with my parents and brother, I know it will be merry and bright if I go slowly and in love. Whatever your fairytale for the next couple of weeks I wish you much light.

Comments

Unknown said…
A messy house, is a lived in house - that's what I keep telling myself anyway! With all the Xmas preparations going on, there's just not enough hours in the day for cleaning, and ironing. It's definitely the time of year to enjoy time with our loved and not stressing about the small stuff. I've made a few gifts this year, though not as many as I'd like. Though not everyone appreciates handmade do they?
Wishing you and your family a wonderful time in Cornwall.
Merry Christmas. xx
Gerri said…
Oh, I'm SO excited about the class!!
Rose Red said…
As I sit here at 10.25pm on Christmas Eve, still madly knitting on Connor's Christmas stocking (!!), I know how true your words are, heh heh!
Hope you have a lovely, restful, joyful Christmas.
DrK said…
yes i know what you mean about the crafters at christmas. i think its about not wanting to get caught in the consumerism too, but then it turns into its own kind of crazy. hope you are having a lovely time xx

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!